1. An applicant must be at least 32 years old but
not above 65 years old at the anticipated time of
2. Baptized and Chrismated with Holy Myron.
3. Possess the morals and the physical and
psychological qualities in harmony with receiving a
4. Successfully pass a background
investigation including a finger print check.
5. Pass a psychological evaluation.
6. Submit a letter from his physician stating
that the applicant is of sufficient good health to
pursue the course of studies and perform the duties
of a deacon.
7. Have the written endorsement of his proper
8. The applicant must not have any canonical
impediments according to the norm of CCEC Canon 762.
9. Be a lawful subject of the Metropolitan
Archbishop of Pittsburgh before the application
process is begun.
10. If married, be in a stable marriage of not
less than eight (8) years and have the written,
informed consent of his wife.
11. Have been continuously active in a
Byzantine Catholic parish (i.e. cantor, catechist,
parish council, officer of parish organization) for
the five preceding years and have such activity
attested to by the pastor.
12. Have an identified and verified diaconal
need to be filled by the applicant.
13. Have obtained a college degree or its
14. Having received a decree of nullity as to
a previous marriage shall not be grounds for
automatic rejection of an applicant. All papers
concerning the application, investigation and
granting of the decree shall be submitted to the
Director of the Deacon Formation Program. He, having
reviewed such and having interviewed the applicant
regarding such, shall forward all of the papers
together with his recommendation to the
Metropolitan. The Metropolitan shall decree whether
or not such circumstances shall disqualify the
15. Be recommended by the Director of the
Deacon Formation Program.
16. Be accepted as a diaconal candidate by the
Top of Page